Sunday, December 30, 2018

Modified Polished B&W Filter - Raw Brass - Fantastic result

I was putting together my new-to-me X100T with some accessories and didn't like how the 49mm black B&W filter broke up the silver (I have a silver adapter ring coming--but pictured below is an old black ring I had lying around from another X100 I owned in the past), so I got to thinking what it would look like if I sanded down the black paint.  I bought the filter used for $15 so if I messed it up, no biggy.  It turned out better than I thought.  I used some 3M Scotch Brite Ultra Fine Hand Pad.  I believe steel wool works as well but apparently this pad is finer so will leave a smoother less scratchier finish.  

It will take some elbow grease as the pad is not super abrasive but does deliver a very smooth polished result (after all it is a polishing pad).  Simply lay the pad flat on the table and rub the filter on it back and forth length-wise (like a wheel skidding on the road) and rotate every so often.  You can sand as little or as much as you'd like. I first ended up with a gun metal finish which looked very cool but i was curious what would happen if i kept sanding.  The result is about 85% of the way through. you can still see some of the black paint.  The etching and paint are very high quality as it took a LOT of sanding to wear it down. Funny enough the B&W logo and writing stays on so it appears factory.  Very high quality!   I have not seen this anywhere on the internet so I believe it may be a first.  Thought I'd share it with you all!

Again I have a silver JJC adapter ring coming tomorrow but couldn't wait to share the result. Plus I think the black ring gives it contrast helping to see the filter easier. This would look so slick on a black X100!! 

I also have some black rings for the strap coming.  Now I'm curious what else to take the sanding pad to... I have an old XE-1 lying around.. hmm. (Yes i've seen that famous XPro1) 


No comments:

Post a Comment